Saturday, May 25, 2013

Swamp Pits: How to Stop Armpit Sweating For Good - Health

I used to have what I call "swamp pits." I had constant sweaty armpits. I mean it was like I had a garden hose tucked under each arm. It was really embarrassing to always have armpit stains on all my shirts and sometimes I'd have to change shirts a few times a day. That was before I learned how to stop armpit sweating for good. I learned that there are quite a few ways to treat sweating that's confined to one area of the body, like the hands or feet, or armpits in my case. I'll share with you the different treatments and what worked for me:

The first thing I did was go to the doctor. My doc is a really conventional guy and he laid out to me the conventional treatments for stopping armpit sweating. Here are the basic options:

-Botox-oral medications-surgery-iontophoresis

The Botox treatment involves injecting Botox into the sweat glands underneath the skin. This procedure works really well, but it's not permanent and can be quite expensive.

There are a few oral medications that can be prescribed for someone who has excessive sweating. One of them is Robinul, which is usually used to treat ulcers but is effective in treating severe sweating too. There are some side effects however, such as headaches, dizziness and nausea.

A surgical procedure, called Thoracis Sympathectomy, involves making small incisions in the chest and cutting the nerve that runs to the sweat glands in the armpits. Frankly, this one sounds dangerous and I would only recommend it in really extreme cases.

Iontophoresis is very promising. The patient puts their hands or feet in a basin of water while a light electrical charge passes through it. This somehow numbs the sweat glands for a time, reducing sweating. Unfortunately my sweating problem was confined to my underarms, so this treatment wasn't an option.

I wasn't really interested in Botox or surgery, so I tried the medication for a while. It worked ok, but the side effects made me quit the meds after about 2 weeks.

That's when I learned about natural at home remedies for stopping armpit sweating. The most effective remedies I read about were:

-Aluminum based antiperspirants-baking soda-changing diet-wearing cotton clothes

Some antiperspirants work better than others. Aluminum based antiperspirants seem to work the best at eliminating major underarm sweating.

Baking soda is another easy trick that you might want to try out. Baking soda is great at absorbing moisture and odors. Just take about a teaspoon of baking soda and rub it on your pits!

A good diet is important for good health and I had some success simply eating better. I also avoided spicy foods, which can trick the brain into thinking the body is hotter than it really is. There is some evidence that iodine rich foods like fish and eggs can cause excessive sweating, but I didn't notice any difference avoiding these foods. Wearing cotton clothes can help keep you cool and dry by keeping air flow at a maximum.

You will have to decide what methods work best for you. Personally, I avoided the medical treatments because of the cost and side effects. When I decided to figure out how to stop my armpit sweating, I found the natural methods much more effective, but your mileage may vary. Good luck!





iAutoblog the premier autoblogger software

No comments:

Post a Comment